How to Keep Warm and Prevent Space Heater Fires
During the winter months low temperatures happen in Canton Ohio. We see many owners turning to alternative sources of heat. 50% of home heating fires occur during the months of December, January, and February. Space heaters are best used with caution.
Follow these safety tips to keep warm with space heaters during the winter months and prevent fire damage:
- When purchasing a space heater, look for a safety certification: Underwriters Laboratories (UL).
- Auto shut off features are beneficial. This will help prevent overheating and hazards.
- Maintain at least three feet of space around the space heater.
- Remove flammable materials such as curtains, bedding, and clothing from being too close to the space heater.
- Keep the heating unit away from water. Keep space heaters away from bathrooms and kitchens.
- Never use an extension cord with space heaters. The amount of power drawn from these units is too much for a low amp extension cord to handle; by doing this it will cause the cord to overheat and spark a fire.
- Plug only the space heater into the wall outlet.
- Keep the space heater on the floor; make sure the floor is either wood or tile.
- Make sure to turn off the heating unit when you leave a room.
- Make sure you have working smoke detectors on every level of the building
If you or someone you know is faced with fire damage and needs restoration, the experts at SERVPRO can help to mitigate the damage and restore your home! Call (330) 305-2650