How To Reduce Fire In Winter Months
Most of us spend our time cozied up inside throughout winter! We run our homes on overdrive during cold weather. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) claims there are more than 360,000 home structure fires each year, resulting in about $6-8 billion dollars in damage.
Some causes of home fires happen because of the following:
1. Cooking: The U.S. Fire Administration identifies cooking as the leading cause of house fires.
- Never leave the kitchen or appliances unattended while cooking.
- Keep paper products such as towels and potholders away from the stove.
- Keep children and pets three feet away from the stove.
2. Candles: Fires happen a lot because of candles.
- Be sure to extinguish all candles before heading to bed at night.
- Never leave candles unattended.
- Candles should be placed at a minimum of three feet from combustible materials such as decorations, curtains, blankets, etc.
3. Smoking: The warmth of your home may be tempting to smoke indoors if you are a smoker.
- Always use a deep ashtray to put out smoking materials.
- Never discard your cigarette in plants, peat moss, mulch or anything else that can ignite easily.
- Before you toss butts and ashes, ensure they are completely out.
4. Dryers & Washing Machines: There are nearly 3,000 dryer fires reported each year.
- Clean lint filters every time you use the dryer.
- Make sure your dryer vent and ductwork are professionally cleaned once a year.
- Make sure someone is home and awake while the cycle is going.
We know how devastating a fire disaster can be, but we are here to help! Call SERVPRO of Portage County (330) 677-4483 to help get your home restored efficiently.