Storm Damage Can Cause Disasters to Local Businesses
Winter storms that involve snow, rain, or even ice can cause damage to your business. It's prudent to take steps to prevent the dangerous effects of storm damage and to keep yourself and your employees safe. Winter storms can cause power outages that might last for days. They can make roads and walkways extremely dangerous. You can learn more at ready.gov/prepare.
Here are some quick tips to help you and your team prepare for a winter storm:
- Sign up for local alerts and warnings.
- Create and test emergency communication plan(s).
- Stock emergency supplies, and install battery-powered or battery backed-up carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors.
- Review your property insurance, and safeguard critical documents.
- Identify a place nearby where you can safely warm up should you lose heat in your business.
- Stay indoors and off the roads. If you must drive, keep emergency supplies in your car.
- Close off rooms to consolidate and retain heat.
- Dress in layers, and use blankets to stay warm.
- Never use a generator, camp stove, charcoal grill, or gasoline or propane heater indoors, as these items can start accidental fires, cause electric shock, and/or cause deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Remove snow and ice from your tailpipe before starting your car, and check regularly if idling.
- Clean all snow and ice from your car before driving.
- Dress in warm clothing, stay dry, prevent prolonged exposure to cold and wind, and avoid overexertion clearing/shoveling snow.
If you are in need of restoration after this disaster give SERVPRO of Canton a call (330) 966-2377. We are open 24 hours 7 days a week.