Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire damage can happen in your home, or business, in Canton. SERVPRO of Canton will restore your property after fire damage, in a timely and professional manner. We are trained professionals that will take care of your fire damage professionally with our professional equipment. In the meantime, while we restore your location, there are certain things you can do until help arrives check out the items below and always ask the expert any questions, concerns, or problems you might have. SERVPRO of Canton is here to help you restore any damage that your home or office has in a timely manner.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (330) 966-2377
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.